Saturday, February 11, 2012

...All The Days of My Life

There's been recent buzz  about the desirability of marriage. Since we now  have very long lives with many unexpected changes, maybe  a series of life stage partners makes more sense. Each partner, say, for  10-20 years.  For some that translates into two or three marriages; for others none at all. Marriage is at an all time low for Americans.
On the other side of the equation are those of us who still believe in the romantic marry-for-life ideal. While not always easy, we find magic and perhaps even spiritual evolution on the path we know as lifelong commitment. When we promise "for the rest of our lives" or "until we are parted by death" or  state,""you are made sacred to me" we are doing far more than honoring a feeling. We are choosing to return, again and again, to honor the promises we made on one special day in our lives. The sheer magnitude of that responsibility still has me in awe. I cry at almost every wedding ceremony I film. I can't help it.

I don't think I could make wedding films without believing in marriage. Not the pageantry and the fairytale prince and princess rituals, costumes and set design  that we often see in weddings. I believe passionately in the one of a kind relationship that forms and grows between two best friends and lovers who decide to be teacher and student to one another in their life long dance together. I believe, as two very dear couples counselor friends of mine (Rich and Antra Borofsky  http://www.beingtogether.com/about.htm) explain, relationship is about the art of being together, an art form to be discovered, practiced and refined.
Here, then, is one of our most romantic couples of 2011. We think their 'being together' and the way they talk about one another, look at  one another  just makes us smile ear to ear with the joy of sharing in their love! Thank you Liz and Adam!
http://vimeo.com/channels/generationsweddings#32374845

No comments: